Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blog Post 6

After watching the conversations with Anthony Capps, I learned about a lot of what goes in to being a teacher. Anthony Capps is a 3rd grade teacher in Gulf Shores. He covers using technology in the classroom well, saying: "Don't Teach It, Use It." The students learn over time how to use technologies such as iMovie within a few weeks' time. He incorporates technology in the classroom because of the rapidly hanging methods of learning. He teaches the students by letting them use the technologies themselves instead of teaching a step-by-step guide on the SmartBoard. I learned from this particular conversation that even though they don't get it right away, they can eventually use these technologies in their learning process and reflect on their projects.

When hearing him discuss iCurio, I had never heard of the program before. The idea of a search engine specifically for students is a great idea to keep students focused on the research material. With iCurio, the student can learn how to properly and safely research a subject. Another great feature is that it has a storage space for students to keep tabs on what they have searched and what they need to successfully complete a project. I will certainly use this search engine with my students in the future.

The final thing I wanted to write about was his video "A Day in the Life of a 3rd Grade Teacher", I knew before watching the video that being an educator is a lot of work, When Dr. Strange made a statement about people being educators going into education because they "love children", I thought about myself in that moment. When people ask me that question, that is almost always the answer I give them. After Capp stating that he had 16 hour work days, a lot of work being done away from the classroom, I thought to myself about how difficult it is to be a teacher. It was very eye-opening to hear what it's like from a "new" teacher.

Anthony Capp had a lot of great things to say, and I suggest going to watch these conversations yourself!


6 comments:

  1. You should have received an email last week about what is required in ALL blog posts. You might want to look back over that. All blog posts require links and need to be a decent length. Several resources were given to you this week that you could have referred to and added in their links. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria, I feel like you did a really good job with the discussion between Anthony Capps and Dr. Strange. I too had never heard of iCurio, but after watching the conversation about it between Anthony and Dr.Strange I thought the same thing. I think that it is our job as teacher's to not only be technologically literate, but to also be able to teach our students how to use it efficiently. I agree that Anthony had many great things to say and I think that this assignment was wonderful because it offers us new perspectives on education as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I also haven't heard of Icurio myself. I think it is a great resource for students to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Victoria,
    I enjoyed reading your post. It is very important for students to know how to safely use all available resources that is provided to them. I believe Icurio is a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victoria, you did a really good job of summarizing Anthony Capps video. I agree with you about the concerns of safety for children. As we grow more and more into a more technologically advanced society the need for safety regulations is ever growing. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victoria, you did a really good job of summarizing Anthony Capps video. I agree with you about the concerns of safety for children. As we grow more and more into a more technologically advanced society the need for safety regulations is ever growing. Good post.

    ReplyDelete